Sunday, April 17, 2022

Maxi

 Day-17 NaPoWriMo-2022

Prompt: To think about dogs you have known, seen, or heard about, and then use them as a springboard into wherever they take you.


                                                                              Maxi


I fell in love with you
The moment I held you in my arms
You spoke a language
With your limpid honey eyes.

You filled every hour with mischief
To have you following my every step
Toddling around, biting on things
A ferocious bonding with my ankles.

As you grew from a toddler to a teething wolf
With a taste for shoes, socks, and stretchy things
I managed to find you happy behind the flowery bushes
We shared moments of such joy my little waif.

How fast you grew from a toddler to a beautiful lass
With a shiny honey coat and twinkling eyes
There was no dearth of admirers
All of them lined up at the gates.

You were my princess
We protected you and loved you more
The day when death visited the master
You cried sitting at his feet begging God for his life.
How my heart surged that day
To see your silent prayers.

As time raced and days grew long
We crossed miles
In the lap of  life's mercy
You were by my side when fate crossed my path
Comforting me with your mute loyalty.

And then that day came
When time stood still
You wanted me to hold you
To ease the pain which eroded your body
Your eyes full of love asked for a remedy
How could my darling, I let you go!

It was a gloomy Sunday
When the rains dissolved in my tears
You lying in my arms
Looking at me with suffering
I made peace with myself
With a heavy heart, I bade you goodbye.


I know I couldn't stop you
Leaving me with an ache
Your last breath drowned in my sigh
Taking a piece of my heart
To the meadows of paradise.



Participating in : NaPoWriMo-2022



4 comments:

  1. Poignant.

    This "Taking a piece of my heart
    To the meadows of paradise." broke my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We still miss her. Thank you, Arti for passing by :)

      Delete

NaPoWriMo-2024 Day-30 Prompt:  Today, we’d like to challenge you to write a poem in which the speaker is identified with, or compared to, a ...