Thursday, October 4, 2018

The Earthy Relics

Day-4 OctPoWriMo-2018
Prompt: Strange Animals (Free Verse)




A strange friend-The Snail

I come across, once in a while

Many little pretty and strange animals

Most of them are beautifully hued

Some are small and some are very cute

This little fella was crossing the road

In search of green pasture

I stopped and stared and stared

As he wobbled along with his shell

He had to cross a lengthy stretch

I picked him up to explore the other side

To munch on some fodder

Which was visible to him and not me

As it was a dark and starry night.

He snailed his way quietly in the dark

I was honored to find a friend on that starry night.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++





An Old Friend- The Star Tortoise


No man can match his beauty

An ancient relic in full glory.

He walked on this earth, for thousand years

And still walks with pride, among the mere mortals.

I met him unexpectedly one day, at a friend's place

Looking so grand in his armour

I was completely transfixed

He moves without fear on the greener patch,

At his own pace, munching on gogu leaves.

A relic from the past still standing tall

When the world is struggling, to breathe in fresh air.

There is always the fear of not existing anymore

Man in his greed has made his mission for their extinction

Still, they will walk this earth, add beauty to it,

They too will co-exist in the same environs

Breed and multiply and be part of nature for eons and eons ago.






12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I wrote what I felt. No rhyming, no syntax, just feelings :) Thank you for taking out time to read this one :)

      Delete
  2. Your verse flows freely..These friends are cute! Lovely picture there. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These cute friends are my muse :) Thank you for that constant support :)

      Delete
  3. We always had little land tortoises in the garden at the home I lived in between the ages of 4 and 10. That house was in a terrible area, high crime, and enormous cockroaches would get into the house. However, we had the tortoises, and our chickens, and there were various lizards. I especially loved the horned lizards. I mostly remember that place fondly in spite of its faults.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara, I too grown up with these little friends. I had a white mouse, a squirrel, a few mynah,one parrot, a few cats and dogs and lots of hens.Lizards and cockroaches are still around on the walls of my house. :D Presently, I have only two dogs who are more than family. Some memories never leave our side. :) Thank you for sharing such a wonderful memory with us :)

      Delete
  4. Wow.. Loved the poems and the photos!✌️😃❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richa. Have a few more with other cute friends..Maybe next time :)

      Delete
  5. Garden snails! They're so scarce here now in the city where I live, but when I was little, there were tons of them in my garden, huge ones and small ones. And my goodness, that is such a beautiful tortoise! I had one as a child - plain black shell, nothing as pretty as yours, with yellow and black feet and head. Loved these two poems so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden snails..When I was knee high, I would go to the marshes around my house to catch those little buddies. They are used as savory at my native place.Now, I cannot even bear to hurt them. Thank you Shuku for the appreciation :)

      Delete
  6. i love the positive regard you have for the critters, making their way in the world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They deserve to walk on this earth as much as we do, Lili. We humans have become to cold blooded :)

      Delete

NaPoWriMo-2024 Day-25 Prompt: To write a poem based on "  Proust_Questionnaire    "                                               ...